Sunday, March 2, 2008

New Product: Grader

I've recently released my first independent product. Calling it a product is a bit of a stretch as it is quite simple and isn't going to make me any money. However, it was a fun little project and I'd like to write a series of posts on some of the ideas/decisions I made while implementing it.

I created the application for my brother, who is an assistant football coach at the high school where he teaches. One of his responsibilities during the season is to review the film for each game, grading his players in several categories for each play. In the past, he completed this task manually, which obviously took quite a bit of time. Thus, he asked if I could develop an application that would help speed up this process and generate summary information to help him better evaluate his players' performance.

And so Grader was born (my creative juices were not flowing when I came up with the name). I think it turned out pretty well and will hopefully make his job easier. It also provides me with sample code to show any potential employers, although at this point it is probably too simple to make any kind of impression. However, I'm sure my brother will require more functionality in the future. I would also like to convert Grader to a web application using Ruby on Rails, as it would be an ideal project to dip my toes into learning that platform.

No comments: