Saturday, April 12, 2008

Learning Math

Inspired by this post from Steve Yegge, I have decided to re-learn/learn as much math as possible. I've always wanted to be better at math. One thing I've always regretted is how much time I wasted in my high school AP Calculus class, only to have to take the same exact course my first semester in college. Combine that will all of the other math knowledge I've lost over the years and I feel like I should knkow much more than I do.

I'm starting from the very beginning, algebra, which should hopefully be more of a review than anything else. I ordered this book from Amazon the other day and plan to read a little bit each day while I eat breakfast. I haven't really determined what the end-state of this goal is. Maybe it will be a life-long thing and I will end up a math genius :)

It hasn't been necessary for me to know much high-level math in my development career. But I'm hoping that this project will enhance my problem solving skills and expand possible job opportunities. If nothing else, it will make me feel like I've made up for all of the knowledge I have lost over the years

No comments: