Thursday, June 23, 2011

Project Management: Project History

One thing I wish I had done better on my current project is to keep track of decisions that were made throughout the project. Multiple requirements have been changed multiple times and have just become more complicated throughout the process. It would be nice if there was a one-stop place where I could go to review past changes/decisions and why they were made to better make sense of new change requests. Yes, most decisions can be retrieved by searching through email but I'd like something that I can just pull up and quickly glance over, digging down deeper if necessary.

So for future projects I'm planning on keeping a project journal to try and capture this information. I am going to focus on feature-level decisions as I can track task-level changes within our internal task system.

At first I was thinking that a wiki would be a good place to track this information, but I'm going to create a journal document within our internal collaboration system, FirstClass. Using a document will be pretty convenient since I can drag/drop emails into the document to create links back to the conversation threads where changes were discussed and approved. These links will then serve as a way for me to dig down deeper to revisit past changes and as a gentle reminder to clients of the change requests that were made during the project.

No comments: